Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Untitled 'Reunion' Piece

Part 1

Driving along the dirt road out to the ranch, she felt a sense of dread coming. She didn't want to be going there. So many memories at that house and stable, so many old faces to see. Especially one. He had been everything to her, although she had never told him. Maybe he was the real reason she had fled two years ago and left the ranch and the only life she knew. Looking back as the miles closed in on the property, she realized that she had been afraid to tell him how she felt, afraid that her feelings would be un-matched. Sure, they had some chemistry, but nothing much had ever happened between the two. Tim had never tried to force his hand with Michelle, especially because they worked together.

Fate or luck, which had brought her here? The owners of the ranch had bought a horse from her new employers, and they decided that since Michelle knew the area, she should deliver it. The four day journey from her new 'home' to her old had been filled with thoughts of the past, and of a future that could have been, but never was. What would have happened had she told Tim how she felt instead of taking a new job three states away? Was he even still at Triple Creek?

As she pulled onto the drive, a mile long gravelly road, she could see down the hill at the house it looked as if there was a party. She decided to pull straight to the barn, but Maggie, the horse's new owner ran out to the drive as Michelle was about to pull past. Maggie waved her down and Michelle thought to herself "And so it begins...". As she pulled to a stop she rolled down her window, put on a smile and greeted her old friend; "Maggie! I didn't want to disturb you guys-looks like quite a party. I was just going to pull Jewel and Sam into the stable...". Maggie smiled, clearly more excited to see her former employee then her new horse, and replied "I didn't know you brought Sam too! Are you going to stay for a while with us and do some riding? We would love to have you here, Michelle. As soon as you are done in the stable, come in! There are alot of people in there that will be thrilled to see you!"
"Will do, Mags." Michelle replied, and gently pulled away towards the barns.

After she had unloaded both her horse, Sam, and Jewel, her delivery, Michelle tried to postpone the inevitable. She dilly-dallied. She stalled. She himmed and hawed. Finally, realizing that if she didn't head to the house soon, the search party would come to her and she would REALLY be the center of attention, she headed to the bathroom and freshened up. She splashed water on her face, brushed her teeth, combed her hair. She had been living out of that truck for the better part of a week; she felt it only right to spray a little perfume on for the sake of the party guests. Michelle left her jeans and boots on. She was not one to dress up 'fancy', and you never know when the urge to go for a ride would strike.

She closed up the barn and walked towards the house, not knowing what the party was for, only that there were about 30 cars and trucks in the field belonging to guests she probably didn't know. How many of the old crew were inside? There were a few she hoped would be there, and a few she could do without. Some she still spoke to every now and then, but never about the ranch, and certainly not about Tim. There he was again, popping back into her head. After two years, she still couldn't stop thinking about him no matter how hard she tried. The truth is, she hoped she would see him here. She had something for him, even if she didn't tell him how she felt, she had a gift for the man she had tried not to think about. The butterflies were creeping back into her stomach, and as soon as she touched the doorknob she felt them fluttering like wildfire.

Walking into the lions den, she wiped her boots on mat, took off her jacket and hung it by the door in the mudroom.
Why am I so nervous? She thought to herslf. I'm only here for a couple of days, why am I so shaken??
She knew why. She knew exactly why. Tim. She may have tried to fool herself into thinking she didn't want to see him and didn't care, but if that was the case, why did she have a box in the backseat of her truck with his name on it? Why. She hoped he was here, and that he had, by now, figured out why she had left two years ago. She hoped she wouldn't have to be the first to say hello, she hoped he would find her and instantly be everything she had hoped for-in love with her.
She snicked at herself. At least she still had her sense of humor. Now, get in there, and use it to make your rounds.

She walked into the house and saw about 50 people. She only recognized a few faces in the crowd so far, but maybe that was just because there was only one she was looking for. She made her way to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water, "better not drink in case the urge to flee grabs me.." she thought. She snickered again, under her breath this time.

Maggie sprinted up to Michelle and grabber her arm "I have someone you have to come say hi to!" she squeaked, as only Maggie did, and led her through the crowd. Butterflies... Butterflies! Was it time yet? It was too soon, she wanted to flee but had no good excuse to give to Maggie. She looked at the ground as they weaved through people, she tried to distract herself from thinking about who they were about to greet by noticing the new floors Maggie had put in since she had last been at the house. Michelle looked up, just in time to see who they were greeting-Maggie's husband Carl. Maggie led Michelle past a few more people in a tight bottle neck of guests to get to Carl. Michelle turned sideways and squeezed through a small opening, brushing up against a man, letting out a quiet 'pardon me'. After the words escaped her mouth, she looked up, realizing who it was she was pressed against in this instant, the person she most wanted to see. Tim.

Maggie continued pulling Michelle past, and as she looked back at Tim, she saw the smile forming on his face as he said her name, "Shell...", thats what he had always called her. No one else ever did, it was a name used just by him.

The butterflies she had thought would do her in, quickly left. She was struck by an odd kind of serenity and peace. She was mystified by her reaction. God, he looked good, she thought.

"Michelle! Come give me a hug!" Carl exclaimed as soon as he saw her coming. She turned around and instantly found her way into his arms. Carl gave bear hugs. She had missed him the most-besides Tim-and was genuinely happy to see him again. She didn't hate everyone here, she just hated who SHE was when she had been here. She had changed and felt more at ease now. Carl sensed this, and after he finally released her from the long embrace he said "I hope you are planning on staying a while. Mags told me you brought Sam with you, so I hope that's the case..."
"I was due for a vacation, I hear the falls are really going this year so I figured we'd stay a while and check them out. How are you, Old Man?" She had always thought of Carl as a second father to her, and he had always felt the same. He had respected her decision to leave them, but had never wanted her to go.
"Oh, same as always. Mags is running me into the ground here, and then making me attend fancy shindigs like this! At least she feeds me well..." A warm, familiar smile crept onto his face, "Welcome Home, Michelle. Even if you're only here for a little while, welcome home." He patted her shoulder and turned around, off to mingle and tell jokes. Mags turned to Michelle and said "Your room in the bunkhouse is still free, I put fresh sheets and towels out there for you this morning." Michelle thanked her and smiled. Maggie knew that Michelle wasn't exactly comfortable in a room full of strangers, so she smiled, and told her "You must be exhausted. I won't make you stay in here with all of these people. We'll catch up more in the morning." Michelle nodded, and made her way to the back of the house.

As she was walking towards the mudroom, she remembered Tim. She had forgotten all about bumping into him after seeing Carl and his jolly smile. She had planned on finding him before she retired for the evening, but had completely neglected to do so. She turned and scanned the room before she made her exit. Nope. He wasn't there. Maybe he had escaped when he saw her. Maybe he was in deep conversation with someone in a hidden corner of the room. She didn't know.

She opened the mudroom door, and stepped in. As she did, she saw a welcome sight, Tim. He was leaning against the wall on the opposite side, and as she closed the door behind her, he looked up. "Been waiting for you...You going riding?"
"Why, do you want to come with me?" She replied.
"No, YOU are coming with me. But it'll be dark in about 3 hours, so we have to get going." He said

She sat down and started to put her boots on. He chuckled and said "You have more boots than anyone I know. How many pairs are you up to now?"
She laughed too, he was right. She did have alot of boots. "Oh, you know I like to have a pair for any situation!"
"All your stuff still in your truck?" He asked her.
"Yeah, still all packed in my bag." She replied, not quite sure where this was going.
"Give me your keys, I'll get Sam packed up for you."
"You know I never lock up out here-the keys are in it. How long of a ride are we going on?" She said.
Tim just gave her a smile and a "you'll see" as he headed out the door towards the barn.

After the door closed behind him, Michelle let herself smile. She was excited. He was the only person she trusted besides herself to saddle up her horse. The only person she would go on a ride with at dusk, the only person she trusted completely. She wondered where they were going, and what Tim had in store for her.
She finished lacing up her boots and pulled on her coat. She smoothed out her hair, took a deep breath, and headed toward the stable.

As she rounded the corner of the barn, she saw Tim at her truck with the door open. He had found the box in the backseat with his name on it. "Rooting around in my things eh?" she called out to him.
He turned and looked at her, his smile said it all. He was happy with his find.
Tim loved old guns. Michelle had found a beautiful old rifle that belonged to a rancher near her new home, and he had sold it to her. She knew Tim would love it, and couldn't pass it up.
"This DID have my name on it." he said, "How did you afford this? I KNOW what it's worth..."
"I sold a couple of my cars." Michelle answered. She had inherited a small car collection from her uncle when he passed away.
"It's not worth THAT much, maybe one car...I hope you paid a fair price." Tim said, his smile only slightly waning at the thought of Michelle overpaying for such a beautiful present.
"Well, that one cost me one car...But it's twin, it cost me another." She said. She explained that after she had bought that rifle, the rancher had told his brother, who had the twin to it, about Michelle's interest in it. He called and offered her the second matching rifle. She couldn't pass up giving Tim the set.
Tim was in awe. He put the rifle back in it's case, and looked at her, leaning on the truck. Michelle tried to look away, afraid he would see the emotion in her eyes. "Thank you, Shell. This means alot to me.."
Michelle had no choice, she looked him in the eyes and all the emotion she was trying to hold back came forth. "I just wanted to show you..show you how much you have meant to me. I know that I never really told you..I, I just wanted you to know." She managed to get out.
He took a step toward her, and pulled her to him. He held her tight and stroked her hair; "Thank you." he said again.

"Well, we better get going to this mystery spot you are taking us to!" she said, trying to lighten the mood. He held her for a moment more, then broke his embrace. "The horses are ready, Sam is all packed, and Rodeo is good to go." He said. Ro was his mare. She was a stealthy, good natured horse. He had had her for many years, and she and Sam had been stallmates many years ago. As Michelle walked towards the horses, she could see they were back together acting like old friends, she hoped all things would be as they were.

Heading out East of the Ranch, Michelle could see they were headed towards the mountains. For the next hour, the laughed, and talked, and caught each other up on the happenings in their lives. All the while making their way toward Tim's unknown destination.
"The light out here is beautiful right now...I didn't realize how much I missed this place until right now." She said, half to herself, half to Tim. It was true, she hadn't thought she would miss the familiar hills and valleys of the place she once called home, but she did.
"It's missed you too," he said. She wasn't sure if he meant that as he had missed her. She hoped. He steered Ro towards Sam, and rode alongside Michelle. He looked at her like he was seeing a long lost love for the first time in ages. It felt good. She blushed and smiled. She shook the reigns and she and Sam took off.
Tim had been waiting for this. He and Michelle had loved to race. They were evenly matched, as were their horses, so it was always a toss up as to who would win. No one else gave either of them as much of a thrill when it came to racing.

They let Sam and Ro run it out, called it a draw, and Tim took over, leading Michelle up the ridge. This was about as far as she had gone before on this particular ridge, so she was now in new territory. They crossed a stream, and another 30 minutes of riding, before they came to it.

Alone in a beautiful forest, a small dirt road. This was a new road. Not weathered more than a few months. Michelle was definately curious. She followed as Tim lead her another few miles up the road, but now, it was starting to get dark fast, and Michelle realized that wherever he was taking her, they were staying the night.

In the distance, Michelle could make out what she thought was a barn. New, white clapboard with gray trim.
"This is it." Tim said, as they pulled up to the barn. He dismounted. "You mind bunking up the horses? Come in as soon as your done.." He said. He took the bags and began walking towards the house he had pointed to. As Michelle stood next to Sam and Ro, she looked around, taking in what she was seeing. A big barn, a beautiful house, and a driveway with a truck. Tim's truck, she thought. Where were they?

She led the horses into the new barn, excited to see what else was in store. She took their saddles and put them in the tack room, and led Ro into a stall with her name on it. She turned to get Sam, and noticed that the next stall over also had a name tag. "Sam". Odd, maybe whoever's barn this was had a horse named Sam also. She put Sam away in the stall of the same named horse, closed up the barn, and went towards the house.

It was starting to get chilly out, and Michelle hurried to the house, even though she wanted to take everything in. She would have time tomorrow, she thought.

She climbed the porch stairs, running her hand along the railing. She saw the swing, the pots with beautiful plants. This was the kind of house she had always wanted.

She walked into the mudroom and hung her coat. As she was sitting to take off her boots, Tim came in with two coffee cups. One for him, and one for her. She knew he wouldn't bring her coffee since she didn't drink it.
"Hot cider," he said, knowing that would be what she wanted."Thanks, " she said, untying her laces and pulling off her boots. "That barn is amazing! Sam feels special-the stall had his name on it." She stood up, and took the cider from him. It warmed her chilled hands and she let out a sigh.
"Slippers there for you, too." he said, and led her into the house after she slipped them on.

Tim had a fire going in the fireplace to warm the house, and he showed Michelle around. Kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom. They stayed on the ground floor. They settled in on the sofa, warming from the fire, drinking cider, and winding down after their ride. Finally, Michelle couldn't resist any longer.

"So, where exactly are we, and who's house is this?" She said with a smile, as if they were things she should know, but didn't.

"We are in the living room, and this is my house." Tim said, in a sort of smart alec way.
"Your house?", she questioned.
"Yep. Just finished it two weeks ago. Carl and Maggie sold me the land last year, and I've been working up here every weekend building. Do you like it?"
"Oh, Tim. It's gorgeous! It's exactly what I would have built. I love it...Seriously?? Your house. Wow. I've been gone along time..." she replied. She was happy for him. He had wanted some land of his own for so long.

He smiled. There was something he was leaving out. She didn't know what, but figured in time he'd tell her.

They sat in the warmth of the fire and visited for what felt like hours. Michelle was happy to be near Tim again. She didn't know if he had the same feelings she did, and she worried that she would complicate things if she told him how she felt. She didn't want to ruin this reunion. She wished this night could last forever.

Finally, after several hot cider refills, Tim turned to her. She knew by the look on his face that he had something important to say, so she put down her cup and listened.
"Shell, I've really missed you. When you left, I.. it just wasn't the same without you. I don't know why you left, if it was something I did or didn't do, but I don't want you to leave again." He said, his voice so full of emotion, Michelle was sure this was the most earnest she had ever seen him.
"I know this is kind of coming out of the blue, but...I just, well, I built this house hoping you would come back. And you did! I'm so glad you did. I don't know what your life is like now, but I want you here, with me. Michelle, I was too scared of what it meant before, when you left, but I'm not now. I love you. I have loved you all this time, and I want you to stay here with me and live in this house that I built thinking of you-of us. Thinking this house could be for us."

Michelle was in shock. Everything she had felt, he had just said. He was looking at her, waiting for a reaction. She wanted to scream with excitement, but she didn't want to scare Tim!

"I, I want you to know why I left. Then, then we will talk about the rest." She started, "I left because I thought that if I stayed, things would change. I loved you. I loved you so much, and I knew that us working together, I just, I felt like it would change and we would end up bitter. For so long, I was scared that if I told you how I felt, you would just walk away. I don't know why, call it my irrational fear. At the end, right before I left, I felt like I turned into someone I didn't like. I was so scared of someone finding out that I wanted to be with you, that I closed up and didn't let anyone in. That's why I left. I had to get back to me, and I felt like I couldn't do that seeing you every day and not being able to have you. I'm sorry," She told him, "I'm sorry I wasted the last two years of both our lives. I guess..." She started, realizing what was about to happen..." I guess I will just have to try and make up for that mistake every day until you can forgive me." She smiled, a small tear of happiness in the corner of her eye. She looked at him and waited for it to sink in, for him to realize she had just told him she loved him, and had loved him for years.
Tim looked down, staring at the blanket on Michelle's lap for a few moments. Then he looked up at her and smiled, and said "Well, I guess you are going to have to start making it up to me now." and he kissed her. He kissed her with the passion she had dreamed about ever since they met eight years earlier on her first day at the ranch. He put his hand to her face and felt her warm cheek, and swept away the lone tear. He put his other hand on her shoulder slightly pulling her towards him, then moving his hand up to her neck and then to her hair. He brushed it away from her face, and pulled away from the kiss. He looked at her with such intensity, and devotion.
He said "So does this mean you will stay? Because I already put Sam's name on the stall...and I only have one bed in the house." he laughed, so did she.
"Yes! Yes, I'll stay..but I'll have to go back home to get some things..and a few more horses, at some point."
"Few? Well, don't go pushing your luck there, missy..." Tim said jokingly.

They sat up for a while longer discussing logistics, laughing, kissing, and as the evening wore on, Michelle began to tire. She had a rough 4 days of travel, and even though this had been a joyous night, she couldn't fight against sleep any longer.

"I'd love to stay up all night with you..but I'm fading fast." she said to Tim.
"Come on, I've already got our bags upstairs..." He said, as he stood up and led her to the bedroom. Had she not been almost asleep, Michelle would have toured the upper floor of the house as well, but there was always tomorrow for that. Tim sat her on the bed and brought her bag to her. There was a nightstand beside her with a glass of water, a small clock, and a picture in a frame. She recognized it immediatley and was momentarily awakened by it. It had been taken about 5 years ago, back at the ranch. Carl had taken it, in the days when he had been trying to play 'matchmaker' for Michelle. It was of Michelle and Tim on Carl's horse Bandit, back to back, laughing like there was no tomorrow. "I remember this day," she said to him, he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth, and peeked his head out to see what she was holding. "I remember Carl told us it was for the Ranch's annual calendar.. even though there never was a calendar. I didn't know you had this.."

Tim came out from the bathroom and walked over to her. He had taken off his shirt, and even though she had seen this site many times before, this time it was new and different. This time, she could touch him. She put down the photo as Tim knealt in front of her. He picked up her foot, and removed her sock, then moved on to the next one. He was so gentle, and caring. He made socks look sexy. He looked up at her, and asked "Do you have pj's in your bag?", She nodded, "Green..." was all she could manage to get out, thoughts swirling in her head of touching his bare stomach, thoughts of him dressing her in her nightgown, thoughts of sleeping next to him all through the night and not having to worry about waking up in an unwelcomed embrace.

Tim found Michelle's green nightgown, and laid it on the bed beside her. She put her arms up, as if to give him permission to take off her shirt, and he did. He gently pulled the long sleeve henly off, careful of her face, and set it on her bag. She stood up, and unbuttoned her worn jeans, they were snug, and Tim gently pulled them down, gliding his hands down her smooth warm legs as he did. She put her hand on his shoulder and stepped out of them, Tim then folded these up and set them on her bag as well. He turned back to her, and watched as she lifted the thin tank top she had been wearing off, leaving her in only her pale blue cotton bra and panties. She threw the top onto the neat pile Tim had already made. As she did, Tim stepped toward her, his warm arms drawing around her waist, and her arm finding it's way around his neck. He was so warm, and strong. She had longed for these arms to be around her for so long. She could hardly believe it was finally happening.

Tim kissed her lips, sweetly. Then her cheek. She sighed, as if to say "I've waited for this for so long..". He held her for a few more seconds before letting go, and kissed her again. She desperatley wanted to be with him, but she knew she was far too tired to be everything she wanted to be for him. She knew that he understood, without hearing her say a word, and that it was allright.

He pulled back the covers and picked up her nightgown. She turned around and lifted her long hair, he gently helped her undo her bra, and she let it fall to the floor. Tim had waited so long to be able to tell her he loved her, and to be able to touch her, he didn't dare rush it. He lifted the green satin nighgown above her head and helped it find it's way onto her body. He kissed the top of her shoulders, lingering to smell her hair, and helped her into bed and under the covers.

Tim made his way around the footboard to the other side of the bed. He shed his jeans, revealing something that Michelle had seen a glimpse of on occaision, his green plaid boxer shorts. She let out a small snicker, and he smiled and looked at her. "What? Were you expecting something else?" He said as he himself chuckled.
"No," she replied, "it's just that...we match". He looked down and looked at her, realizing she was right, they were wearing the same color green. "Well, how about that." He said as he pulled back the covers and climbed in.
He turned to his nightstand to switch off the light, when Michelle said "No, leave it on...I want to fall asleep looking at you. I want to get as much of you today as I can." and smiled one of the purest, sweetest smiles Tim had ever seen. He had no idea why it moved him so, but it did. He turned his face away towards the wall so she wouldn't see how happy he was. He fiddled with his watch, ultimatley setting it down on the table.

He turned back and snuggled up to his pillow, facing her, and she facing him. His hand found hers under the sheets, and he held tight to it. He didn't want the day to end, but he knew there would be another to fill with new memories tomorrow. He leaned over and kissed her one last time. She smiled again, and closed her eyes, asleep within minutes. Tim waited a while, then turned off the light and joined her in slumber.

No comments: